Salem Witch Trials
History of the Memorial
The award-winning Salem Witch Trials Memorial was dedicated in 1992, honoring the victims of the Salem Witch Trials of 1692.
Designed by the architect/artist team of James Cutler and Maggie Smith, the memorial was made possible by a grant from the National Endowment for the Arts and has won national critical acclaim. It was dedicated on August 5, 1992, by Nobel Laureate Elie Wiesel.
The first Salem Award for Human Rights and Social Justice was presented at that event. Since then, over six million people have visited the Witch Trials Memorial, which is Salem’s most visible reminder of the 1692 tragedy.
The Memorial offers a quiet place to contemplate the spirit and strength of those who chose to die rather than compromise their personal truths.